Everyone wants to increase the appeal of their home, right? But it’s tough to decide whether you are pouring money into a home that will never return that investment because you may never have any interest once it goes on the market. Here are 5 things that will ALWAYS increase the interest in your home:
- Take care of the maintenance issues AS they occur. While this may sound simple, small items of repair around the home, such as grout or tile issues in a shower or bath can lead to much bigger problems later down the road. Got a board that’s coming loose from the deck? Rather than wait until later, repair it now.
- Cleanliness is next to Godliness – isn’t that the saying? It certainly is when it comes to the value of your home. Cleaning spills and mishaps around the home as soon as they take place can literally save you thousands in carpet and/or flooring replacements down the road should you decide to sell.
- Got pets? We all love our animals. But dogs and cats can cause serious damage to a home. Destroyed flooring, chewed up cabinets, scratched up paint and that’s not to mention to animal smell that we become accustomed to as pet owners. The pet smell however is a huge deterrent to anyone interested in your home. Regardless of the features, location or price – the smell of a pet will often send a prospective buyer away without a look back. The best way to overcome this problem is to make sure you have plenty of time to spent with your animals so they have less chance of “accidents” or separation anxiety related destruction. In the event of problems, repair or replace as you go. The longer a smell stays in a carpet, the stronger it becomes in the home.
- If you want to make improvements to your home that will have a positive impact on the value of your home, flooring is a great place to start. Remove old carpet and replace it with some nice hardwood or tile.
- Improve your outdoor living space. Clean up any flower beds, plant some perennials, or put in a fire pit if you have the resources. Whatever you do, it does not need to be an expensive venture. A nice welcoming outdoor living area will turn heads. Buyers love outdoor areas and the idea of outdoor living spaces as an extension of the home.
If you are thinking about putting your home on the market in the near future, contact me. We will work together to provide you with true picture of the value now as well as ways to improve the value before going on the market.